INCLUSIVE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS & REFERENCE CHECKS
- Align with position qualifications.
- Focus on advising experience, education, competency.
- Exclude questions that include UC Davis-specific/acquired knowledge.
- Address the candidate's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Provide candidates with materials (e.g., Principles of Community) in advance if you wish to address the concepts in an interview.
Sample interview prompts:
- Describe your advising philosophy.
- Explain how your education and/or experience positions you for success in this role.
- Provide an example from your experience where you developed a strategy to address a student academic need. How did you identify the need and what was the strategy?
- Describe a circumstance where you promoted diversity, equity and inclusion in your most recent experience.
Sample reference check prompts:
- Describe the candidate's primary roles and responsibilities during their employment with you.
- Discuss the candidate's ability to prioritize and handle competing professional obligations.
- How has the candidate demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion?
- Describe how the candidate builds rapport in professional interactions.
The Academic Advising Enrichment office can review unit-developed interview questions or can work together with a unit to ensure alignment with equitable standards.